I have nothing original to post here….but I can definitely share with you my latest obsession in the food world; kale salad.
Even if you’re not a huge kale fan, I bet you’d like this salad. Not only is it super healthy, but it has a lot of other things in it that many people have on hand and there is always an option for substitutes. I’m not one for a crazy salad with lots of veggies like most people (peppers, carrots, cucumbers, etc–aren’t my thing in salads) but this salad is hearty and simple and I hope you try it!
Salad is always better with cheese (fact, not opinion). So in this case, I’ve found several cheesy quotes to lead us into our recipe for the day:
The secret ingredient is always cheese.
Age is of no importance unless you are cheese.
Sweet Dreams are made of cheese, who am I to dis a Brie?
When all else fails, cheese.
By no means am I suggesting that you refrain from pizza and cake once in a while, heck, I had 4 slices of pizza and a whole slice of cake this evening. I’ve also been eating kale salad every single day for lunch for the past week (atleast!). That is not to say that the salads aren’t filling and satisfying because they are, but I can definitely justify having a pizza night now and again. Pizza is up there as one of my favorite foods. 🙂
- 2-3 c. Kale
- 6-10 Brussels Sprouts
- ½ c. Pecans
- 2 tbs Chia Seeds
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- ¼ c. Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tbs Dijon Mustard
- ¼ c. Olive Oil
- ¼ c Lemon
- 1-2 tbs Honey (start with 1 and add another if you think it needs it)
- Salt & Peppa to taste
- Combine oil, lemon, mustard & honey and whisk to incorporate.
- Toast your Pecans in oven or toaster oven for 5 minutes AT MOST (3-4 is usually best)
- Chop apple into cubes
- Thinly Shave/Slice Brussels Sprouts
- De-stem Kale and thinly slice into strips (roll each leaf and chop thinly to achieve strips)
- Add all ingredients to bowl; chia seeds, apple cubes, toasted pecans, parmesan cheese
- Top with dressing
- Stir well to incorporate
- I you pre slice all of your kale & sprouts so that it is at arms reach for next time, you can make this salad in less time (less chopping!)
- If you find the dressing isn't sticking to your greens, next time massage it onto just the kale and sprouts before adding the rest, then add a bit more dressing.